Friday, October 2, 2009

Last of the Garden

I pickled some more okra last night and froze the rest for gumbo. That will taste so good this winter! We always have pickled okra with our holiday meals. I'm saying it is the last of the okra but Jack said it is getting more blooms. I think I'm going to pull it up anyway to prepare some beds for spring planting. It has produced like crazy this year! Jack also picked one lone tomato so we are going to eat it with dinner tonight. I hate to see them go.
We are ready to plant the cold frames with lettuce and spinach for fresh greens during the winter. If you haven't tried this I encourage you to do so. It is so easy (and no insects or weeds to deal with!) and you get to enjoy home-grown veggies during the cold months. What a blessing!
Hope your day is going very well and that you were able to enjoy some home-grown or locally-grown produce this year.
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment