Monday, March 28, 2011

Pruning

We had a stretch of warm beautiful weather and things suddenly started blooming and putting on leaves! The next thing you know, we had 7 inches of snow in one day. So, this morning I was standing in snow pruning the clematis that had begun to leaf out. O.K. That's a first! I started thinking about pruning as I was working and how many people say they are afraid to prune because they might hurt the plant and wouldn't it just be better to let it grow naturally? I used to hesitate myself. But, it really does help. I once had a clematis that grew in a big pot and year after year it just struggled along barely getting any blooms. I knew the potential of this type of plant, so I did various things to help it along; except for pruning. I was afraid to. Then one day I decided to go for it, after learning more about it. The plant grew very well, filled out, and had lots of beautiful blooms.
I think we, as people, are afraid of the pruning that comes to us sometimes. I know I am. We try to avoid the inevitable, not realizing the good that it will bring about in the long-run (or maybe even in the short-run!). We, unfortunately, do not grow very well without it. Yes, it hurts. And, yes, it's scary. But, hopefully, we are stronger and more beautiful afterwards.

Lean into the pruning. Don't be afraid. Let the Master Gardener do His work. You won't be disappointed.

Nancy

1 comment: