Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Red Buds

It amazes me every year when it seems like overnight things begin to bloom. The whole length of the creek is lined with flowering red bud trees right now. It is such a joy to look at.
We got the potatoes planted yesterday and cut lettuce and spinach in the cold frame and a BUNCH of chickweed for tinctures this time. The salve I made a while back works very well. I'll probably make more and then dry some of the plant, also. The onions are up and the chives' flower buds are about to open. We cut some yesterday to use with meals.
Our Jersey that hurt her foot is doing well. She is such a sweet cow. We were able to apply the bandage that day and then another one the next day. I also sprayed the cut with calendula to prevent infection and help with healing and put dried echinacea root in her feed.
Jack and our grandson are building benches for the greenhouse today. Then I think all that is left to do is to cover it with the plastic. How exciting! I started the tomato plants indoors again. I started 72 of them and they are all growing well. The clear plastic egg cartons that they're using now make great little greenhouses and the plants were up in a couple of days. I have to hurry up and start the pepper plants now. I'm going to make pots out of paper to plant them in because they seem to do better that way and I won't have to transplant them as they get bigger. I was given one of those mini greenhouses on wheels as a gift several years ago and it has worked very well to start seeds on. It has four racks for the seed trays and then we hang flourescent light fixtures over them from the rack above. You can start a lot of seeds in a small amount of space.
Hope you are enjoying all of the many spring activities!
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Miss you guys!!! why haven't you posted pictures

    ReplyDelete